Introduce yourself, please (name you write under). Is this a pen or personal name? Why did you make the choice to write under that name?
I’m Alicia Dean. This is a pen name, but ‘Alicia’ is a variation of my real first name, Alice, and ‘Dean’ was my father’s first name. He passed away in ’94 before I was published. He knew about my dream and would have been so thrilled to see it come true. I chose my pen name as a tribute to him.
2. Let’s get the details out of the way:
Single, married, divorced, widowed?
Happily divorced for almost 17 years. Still friendly with ex, though.
Proud parent of two beautiful daughters, Lana and Lacey, and a handsome, wonderful son, Presley. They’re all grown now, but we spend a lot of time together and I love it.
Doing what, other than writing?
I’m a legal assistant for a family law firm.
One—just one—physical characteristic:
Dark hair and eyes. (Have to color the grey to keep the hair ‘dark’ <g>)
3. What’s your secret passion?
None of my passions are secret. I share them all. (Elvis fan, MLB, NFL, Vampire Diaries, True Blood, Dexter, Justified, etc)
4. Tell us one thing about yourself you’d never change.
My closeness with family and friends.
5. If you didn’t live where you do, where would you live? Why?
I’d live somewhere cold, because I love winter.
6. Do you write about where you live or where you’d like to live?
Mostly where I live or have lived.
7. What’s the first creative writing you remember doing outside a class?
I wrote a romance when I was about 11. The hero looked just like Elvis Presley, which was actually how I described him. I still have that story.
8. Why do you write romance novels?
They have a happy ending, and people love to read them.
9. What else do you write?
Suspense/mystery with just a hint of romance.
10. What one thing from your book did you take from personal experience?
My heroine’s love of baseball and Elvis music.
11. What did you cut from your book that felt like severing a body part?
Scenes from my serial killer’s POV.
12. Do you identify closely with one particular character? How?
Not particularly, but I would LOVE to identify closely with Audra. Dimitri is a hottie bad boy.
13. The best part about my writing life is:
Hearing back from readers. Whether they liked my book(s) or didn’t, it’s a thrill to realize that complete strangers are reading something I created.
14. The worst part about my writing life is:
Not having NEAR enough time to write.
15. Give us a hint about what the next book’s like.
I’m working on a sequel to Soul Seducer, featuring my heroine’s best friend, Riley.